On March 1 1948, the College of Veterinary Medicine was established as the 17th veterinary college in the USA. For 33 years the veterinary teaching hospital and clinic were maintained in McElroy Hall located at Farm Road and McFarland Street. Then on March 23 1981, the Boren Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital was dedicated and opened for business. It is located on the corner of Farm Road and Hall of Fame Blvd. This separate building, which spans over 145,000 square feet, serves as the veterinary teaching hospital for the Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, houses the offices for the clinical faculty, and a large classroom for teaching the fourth year veterinary students. The hospital has been accredited and certified by the American Animal Hospital Association since 1983.
Approximately 110 students receive their clinical training in the hospital during their final year of veterinary school. The student make-up includes students from the OSU Stillwater campus, Ross University in St. Kitts, St. George’s University in Grenada, and students working toward their AVMA license through the PAVE program.
Students are trained and guided through their final year of veterinary school by the combined efforts of more than 60 veterinarians (which includes faculty members, interns, and residents) and more than 100 full time staff members which includes at least 30 certified veterinary technicians.
The hospital provides care for clients and their animals in the surrounding Stillwater area and also serves as a regional referral center for veterinarians in Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Texas, and Louisiana. During the 2007 fiscal year, our veterinarians provided care for approximately 7,200 small animals (dogs, cats, and exotic species), 82,000 food animals, and 1,700 equine patients. For more information regarding our hospital services please click on the services tab on the left side of the home page for the VTH.