(March 6, 2009 Stillwater, OK) – The Oklahoma State University Center for Veterinary Health Sciences released information today, March 6, on poison hazards for pets.
Homes contain every day chemicals, substances or plants that can be dangerous or even fatal if consumed by pets. The veterinary center urges pet owners to help prevent pet poisonings by being aware of the most common health hazards:
• Foods – examples include chocolate, grapes, raisins, and sugar-free items containing xylitol such as gum or breath mints; for other food items that are toxic, contact your veterinarian or visit http://www.avma.org
• Cleaning products – read and follow product directions for proper use and storage; keep toilet bowl lids closed when treating toilet water
• Pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers – follow directions for application and store in a properly labeled, sealed container in a secure cabinet
• Plants – lilies, azalea, oleander, sago palms, Yew, English ivy and many more are toxic to pets; for a complete list, contact your veterinarian or visit http://www.aspca.org
• Other common household items that can be health hazards for pets include: bath and hand soaps, toothpaste, potpourri, sun block and lotions
If you think your pet has consumed a poison, time is critical! Contact your veterinarian or call the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435. A $60 consultation fee may apply.
The Oklahoma State University Center for Veterinary Health Sciences is one of 28 veterinary colleges in the United States and is fully accredited by the Council on Education of the American Veterinary Medical Association. The center’s Boren Veterinary Medial Teaching Hospital is open to the public and provides routine and specialized care for small and large animals. It also offers 24 hour emergency care and is certified by the American Animal Hospital Association. For more information, visit www.cvhs.okstate.edu or call (405) 744-7000.