(March 30, 2012 Stillwater, OK) – Oklahoma State University’s Center for Veterinary Health Sciences recently hosted the 16th Annual Phi Zeta Research Day. Twenty-nine individuals presented research throughout the day ending with the Nu Chapter of Phi Zeta’s awards banquet. The Society of Phi Zeta is the honor society of veterinary medicine and the Nu Chapter is the society’s Stillwater affiliate.
Congratulations to the following award recipients:
- Dr. Aaron Herndon – Graduate Student Basic Science Research
- Dr. Heidi Banse – Graduate Student Applied or Clinical Research
- Quinci Layman – DVM Student Basic Science or Applied Research
- Derek Hanes – DVM Student Clinical Case Presentation
- Dr. Rinosh Mani – Resident/Intern Basic Science Research
- Dr. Katy Bradford – Resident/Intern Clinical Case Presentation
- Dr. Duraisamy Ponnusamy – Post-Doctoral Fellow Basic Science Research
- Pradyumna Baviskar – Dr. John King Phi Zeta Overall Grand Prize
Pictured left to right: Dr. Rinosh Mani, Quinci Layman, Dr. Katy Bradford, Derek Hanes, Pradyumna Baviskar, Dr. Aaron Herndon and Dr. Heidi Banse.
The Nu Chapter welcomed the following initiates:
- House Officer and New Faculty – Aaron Herndon, DVM; Veronique Lacombe, DVM; and Rinosh Mani, DVM
- Class of 2012 – Jessica Abbey, Megan Beavers, Michelle Brewer Withrow, Mason Gauss, Shelly Kerr, Lacey Knapp, Melissa Magnotta, Candice Ottone, Emma Ryan, Elizabeth Rosainz, Lana Rothenburg and Megan Taylor
- Class of 2013 – Melissa Cleavinger, Rachel Folger, Derek Hanes, Amanda Heller, Amanda Likins, Amanda Marino, Kassie Newton, Penny Regier and Liz Zipperle
Pictured seated (left to right): Liz Zipperle (’13), Michelle Brewer Withrow (’12), and Elizabeth Rosainz (’12); 2nd row (left to right): Dr. Veronique Lacombe, Dr. Rinosh Mani, Amanda Likins (’13), Kassie Newton, (’13), Amanda Marino (’13), Amanda Heller (’13), Penny Regier (’13), Candice Ottone (’12), and Mason Gauss (’12); back row (left to right):Dr. Aaron Herndon, Rachel Folger (’13), Megan Taylor (’12), Melissa Cleavinger (’13) and Derek Hanes (’13). Not pictured: Jessica Abbey, Megan Beavers, Shelly Kerr, Lacey Knapp, Melissa Magnotta, Emma Ryan and Lana Rothenburg all Class of 2012.
Special thanks to this year’s sponsors: Bayer Health Care, OSU Center for Veterinary Health Sciences’ Office of Research and Graduate Education, Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Novartis, P&G—The IAMS Company, and Pfizer Animal Health.
The Oklahoma State University Center for Veterinary Health Sciences is the only veterinary college in Oklahoma and one of 28 veterinary colleges in the United States and is fully accredited by the Council on Education of the American Veterinary Medical Association. The center’s Boren Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital is open to the public and provides routine and specialized care for small and large animals. It also offers 24-hour emergency care and is certified by the American Animal Hospital Association. For more information, visit www.cvhs.okstate.edu or call (405) 744-7000.